Thursday, November 5, 2015

Home

It has been more than a week since I did a post. Craig wrote the last one, and I have just been a bit burned out and not feeling like I had much to say. I had wanted to head northwest when we left Bullhead City, and spend a couple of week in the southern Sierra Mountains, but being late October the weather wasn't looking promising. Several of the parks I called were closing in a few days, or at the least turning off the water supply. So we turned toward Southern California instead. I knew there were two discount parks in Desert Hot Springs, one of which we had been to a few years ago. Unfortunately I choose the other one because it looked like we could get a discount for five nights, unlike the other one's offer of only two.

Desert Springs RV Spa and Resort is not terrible, but it was not great either. I felt "bait and switched" when we were told we could not use the Passport America discount on a 50 amp site. In the PA book it indicated 50 amp was available, and since it was still hot there I thought we might need 50 amp for the air conditioners. Anyway the 30 amp site we were given was very tight and in the midst of some "older" park models. I paid for one night and did some checking around for other options.

Our month reservation in San Diego doesn't start until November 23rd. I guess we could have called and tried to get a spot there for some time earlier, but I consider their daily rate outrageously expensive. I called a couple of other San Diego parks, but all were booked for all or part of the time we wanted.

Then I checked the calendar and realized the number of days we needed was within the maximum allowed annual "visitor" stay at my favorite place, Jojoba Hills SKP park. We were there in April of 2014 and really liked it.

IMO Best Pool in the country!
It is a cooperative where individual Escapee members own the lots in the park. If they are not there, they can put their lot into a rental pool and other Escapee members can rent them for up to 28 days a year at a very reasonable rate.  There are two small caveats: no advanced reservations can be made, and if the owner returns while a visitor is on his lot, the visitor has to move to another space. There is also a very sizable dry camp area, so if no spots are open there is always room to park there for a few days. 


Local resident
So, we have been at Jojoba for eight days already, and will stay until the 23rd. Although we are not yet ready to settle down again, nor buy into and call one park "home", the feeling of being set for the next 25 days, in a wonderful spot at the Jojoba SKP park in Aguanga California, is very nice. We are strongly considering getting on the waiting list for a lot here, so this time is also a short test period. Plus, I feel I need a few quiet weeks after all the travel we have done this year, before a month or so of "family time."

We did have one nice upside to our time here. Judy, our blog friend from "Travels with Emma", arrived to move onto her new lot on the same day as we got here. We enjoyed seeing her again and hope to spend some more time together before we have to move on.

I expect I'll be posting again soon to tell you about what I have been doing to keep busy this month.  

A  beautiful evening at Jojoba Hills


8 comments:

  1. What a kick! Both of you at Jojoba at the same time! People I know who have been in one of my kayaks! LOL Glad you had a place to land. Unless you want to boondock, the south of California and the south of Florida all seem to be terribly expensive during the winter. Sigh. Say hi to Judy for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! All of California can be very pricey! We like Jojoba for a lot of reasons, but the Escapee price of $24 per day, or $5 per day for dry camping is a big consideration. We stay at Mission Bay because we can do a monthly rate. $$$ always count!

      Delete
  2. What a great place to land while waiting for San Diego. Sometimes it's nice to just be in one place and chill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not had very good luck with Passport America parks, but I keep my memberdhip in hopes to get to a good site for a good price a few times a year. Jojoba sounds like a great place to take a vacation from traveling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Passport a lot because of the savings. If I was traveling alone I might not stay in some of them, but with a husband aboard, I feel safe.I can stay anywhere for one or two days if it is on our route, or near something interesting.

      Delete
  4. I've heard lots of good things about that park. Everybody seems to like it but we've never been there. Enjoy your time and relax.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has been a while since DaGirls have posted or read our friends posts. I do follow your's and Judy's post. One of these days, we will all run into each other for a good long visit over a good glass of ______ (I'll leave it to you to fill in).

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, or send an email.