Friday, February 18, 2011

Ebay research

I've sold things on Craig's list (have one up right now) but I keep wondering if I should try selling some stuff on Ebay.  


I have been doing the research part.  Finding listings of things similar to what I might have to sell, and seeing what the asking prices are. 


Checking the completed listings, I find it quite depressing to see so many " no bids," and when they are listed as sold the prices are very low.


For the very few "collectables" that I do have I might just as well take the pennies on the dollar at the flea market, or the very small tax deduction if I donate them.  


I've spent some time this week taking down pictures in the dining room, sorting thru the dragon picture collection from the stairwell wall, and considering  which, if any, to keep and wondering what to do with the others.


I researched "framed art" on Ebay and see the same as with collectables.  Few sales and those at low prices.  


For many of our pieces, the frames are worth as much or more than the images themselves!  


As I write this, I came up with one idea to explore. 


 When I was active doing shows and active in the local art guild I was often asked to donate a piece of my art to an auction to benefit this organization or that.  Maybe I should get in touch with some of those people and donate some of the pictures we have. 


 The local Public Radio station has an annual fund drives.  I should look into making donations to them.  I think I would get a better write off than at the Goodwill!


Now thats how Blogging is helpful.  If I hadn't written this out, I wouldn't have thought of PBS.



Exercise Goal:
1000
 miles on the treadmill, 

miles Friday

Total walked = 316.5 miles  

Someday I will be hiking 1000 miles in National Parks!





9 comments:

  1. I had the most luck selling vintage items on ebay. Things that were from the 1980s or older like some of the kids old toys, my Barbie items and some other stuff that I would never have thought had any value.

    I also found that collectibles and art brought very little or no money.

    You might want to try doing research on some older stuff you have laying around and find luck that way. I even sold things like used cassette tapes, a slide projector and old wooden potty chair.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wife has been selling things for years, going back long before we hit the road. She says that 1 of 3 items used to sell, most for a reasonable price, and a few for more than she ever dreamed.
    Today the only thing that sells are useful day to day things, they don't bring in much money. We don't buy anything extra for ourselves and it looks like others are not either.

    Nilda says she hopes you get lucky, but after watching her the past few years I'd say don't count on it. Sorry fer being negative but we've learned that them that say going fulltime is a bed of roses is usually not doing it or trying to make money off telling you how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had pretty good luck with Craigslist...plus you don't have to ship stuff. If you have a local auction place you might check with them. Sometimes you can take things to them a box at a time until they have collected enough for an auction. Godd idea on the donations. You might want to keep a digital photo of everything you donate along with your receipt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've bought quite a bit of stuff off of eBay but I've never sold anything. I should try it as I've got an awful lot of junk lying around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only sold items on craigslist and had good luck with most of the items I had for sale..have never tried EBAY..would be interested to hear if it works for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd have to agree with Donna. One of the perks of Craigslist is no shipping.

    Have you thought about a antique/vintage consignment store? You may not get as much money as you want, but the stuff will be out of your house and visible to potential buyers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I spent the day taking pictures, writing descriptions, and researching items on E-Bay. Very frustrating to say the least! I think that my time spent was more valuable than what people spend there. Sold a few things on craigslist, but I find that yard sales bring more $$.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does not matter what you paid for something (like the frames)-it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I learned that big lesson at our huge yard sale. Sure, I may have paid over $100 for those barely worn Birkenstocks, but I was glad to get $5 a pair. Good lick as you continue to sort through the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I suggest to do ebay research before actually selling something on ebay. It saved me from a lot of costly mistakes! My learned lesson is, whatever you sell, definitely research the market first.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, or send an email.