For the next few weeks I will be documenting how I am building the six animal sculptures that were ordered on Sunday. The teacher in me wants to show you every little step, so if it gets boring, come back in July.
I have decided to show you how I jump back and forth between six sculptures, doing various steps on each. This may be confusing, but the only way I could show you one animal from start to finish is to wait a few weeks as I took pictures of it's progress and then put it all together in one place.
Monday was day one.
I didn't take any pictures.
The first thing I did was to check my materials, making sure I had what I need for each. I will have to go for more glue sticks tomorrow.
I also printed pictures of each animal and put them up on my studio wall. I like to remind myself of what the customer saw on my web site.
I had an unfinished moose and large zebra, so I don't have to do them.
The red one in the front of this picture is not part of this collection, but I put it into the picture so you could see what the master looks like. The different colors are places where I re-taped after many uses.
Here they are drying out in the sunshine.
It was 80* today, great for drying. In winter I have to get creative with building drying tents using a space heater and a silver survival blanket, or put them next to the wood stove for a couple of days.
So I cut them out and re-did them.
I will go thru the process of installing the eyes when I do the eyes on the other animals.
I have so much to show you today and the pictures I took of putting in the eyes were too badly focused.
After I fixed his eyes he went out to dry with the others.
Next I started working on the moose antlers. I did the first few steps on Monday.
I started with two pieces of poster board which I cut to shape.
Next I tape six pieces of 12 gage wire to the poster board.
The ends of the wires are put that into a PVC pipe base construction. (Since this was done Monday, I can't show you how I did it, but I will when I'm making the deer antlers.)
I will show you this with the deer also.
The hard part here is to shape them from a flat pieces of poster board to a pair of somewhat balanced antlers.
I comfort myself by knowing antlers in nature are never exactly symmetrical, but I don't want them too lop sided either.
The resin takes a couple of hours to set up, so I went on to giving the moose his eyes and then put him out to dry. (Moose has eyes in the second picture!)
After a short lunch break, I brought the zebra back in. The master base for the zebra has been changed several times and the pattern pieces I have just don't work well anymore, so I decided it was time to develop a new zebra pattern.
To do this I started by drawing a line down the center of the front of the sculpture.
I wrapped the neck part of the zebra sculpture with waxed paper, pinning it in place and taping extra length where a single sheet would not cover.
Working from the center line I drew stripes on one half.
I taped two pieces of poster board together and taped the waxed paper pattern to them with the center line on the joint.
Then using an exacto knife I cut thru both layers of poster board on the lines.
I use a black sharpie on the back side of the white fur, and a silver sharpie on black fur.
All fur I use is man made and is actually fabric.
I cut out the stripes with an exacto knife.
I buy blades in packages of 100, and change them often.
It was a busy but very productive day.
The evening commute was terrible. All the way up a flight of stairs!
Check back tomorrow and see what comes next.