Saturday, August 13, 2011

A Few Answers

Well now that I had a night sleep, I'm a bit less nervous.  It did take me a long time and a sleep aid to finally drop off, but I felt so much better this morning.


The Alfa should be at the Livermore CA La Mesa by tuesday, but I won't get up to see it until Thursday, Friday, or Saturday depending on when Craig wants to go, or if I want to go up alone first.

I am flying down to San Diego to see our daughter and grandsons on Sunday, and will be returning on Wednesday.  


Before this one came up she had asked if I wanted to go look at some RVs on Sunday, and told the boys we were going to do that.  They are very excited and curious since they have never seen the inside of one of those big boxes.  


In any event it is going to be a long tense week.


As of today, I am much calmer about if "this is the one" or not.  I know we cannot be pushed to purchase one that is not just right, and I am quite comfortable about the "refundable" deposit for two reasons:
  1. It is on my American Express and American Express takes good care of it's customers.  And 
2. There is at least one major fact about the rig that is on the printed version of the listing and what the salesman told me on the phone, that is not true.


We wanted a 35' for parking reasons.  The Alfa is listed on their ad as 35' length.  He told me it was a 35'.  But in the specifications that I have found online, they did not make a 35'.  The specs say the shortest the made was 37'5"


Quite honestly, this will not make a  difference if we really love the coach, but it will make it easy to get out of the deal if we don't and don't have any better reasons.


I need to keep these things in mind to stay calm.


Craig seems to be doing OK with all of this.  He doesn't show excitement or worry, but I can tell he isn't sleeping all that well either.



12 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have a good handle in it.

    Most motor homes are actually not exactly the size they show. For instance ours is listed as a 40 footer, but the specs show it is 41 feet 11 inches.

    Our old one showed 31 feet but is was nearer 32 feet.

    Can't wait to see what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been away and haven't kept up-to-date on a daily basis, but now that I have full internet I can see that you have been busy and have lot's to think about! It is such an exciting (scary) time for you! And the parking looks challenging - yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me thinks it's going to be a long week for you! :) Exciting times ahead!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wild week ahead for you! Sounds like you are doing OK though and not rushing into anything. As you've probably heard before, "You'll know it's the right one when you find the right one." Time and patience are on your side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two feet is probably just bumper space while the inside is likely 35'. It shouldn't make any difference at all. Hope you like it when you see it - sure looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our fifth wheel is listed as a 29.5 foot but the specs show the outside is 32'. That's just the way they measure them. Just remember, there are lots of RV's out there and if you don't like this one, just keep on looking. IN other words - be picky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is exciting and I understand the scary part of it too. The looking is fun but sometimes frustrating but I know the perfect for you coach is out there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember posts when you'd just about given up the whole idea of RVing and look where you're at. This is just a different kind of drama...the positive kind. If you end up not liking this one, there's a lot more out there. Enjoy the ride!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it looks like a nice rig..you will just have to wait until you see it!!..sort of like waiting for Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have been full-timing in our Alfa See Ya since 2003. We love it. There is an Alfa message board on Yahoo that will give you lots of information.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! Congratulations MK! I know you'll make the right decision once you see the rig. Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merikay~

    I checked all the comments and one thing I want to make sure you know is that Alfa did go out of business. I would really suggest that you do as anonymous says here and go to that Alfa owners board and ask some questions about getting parts and about maintaining your coach. Things are going to break... for example in our coach, cabinet latches and since Monaco had financial issues ours are hard to find and expensive when we do (we haven't really). Ask them if generic parts will work for anything you can think of that might break inside such as that.

    I just wanted to be sure that you knew that about Alfa. We considered them ourselves until the financial mess. Never thought about it happening to Monaco, but...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, or send an email.