Monday, April 16, 2012

And they tasted like ...

I like to try new things, and recently Pursuit of Idle Pleasures blog posted about trying Roasted Kale Chips.  


Give it to Craig,  He'll try anything!


The recipe, which is posted below, calls for red kale, but the Safeway only had green kale on Sunday evening, so that is what we used.


Before Baking
The recipe calls for a whole bunch of kale, but I started with three leaves,  just enough to fill one pan, and used a spray olive oil that I had on hand.  She mentioned wanting to try garlic powder instead of cayenne pepper, so that is what I tried.


After Baking
I think I used a bit too much garlic salt.  


They were, well, interesting.  Light, and as I said a bit over salted, but interesting.


What can I say?  
They tasted like Kale and Garlic Salt.  


I think they would be a fun thing to present at a pot-luck, but they won't take the place of potato chips in my heart.  Of course I don't eat potato chips anymore!


It has now been several hours since I tasted them, and my mouth still "tastes" like kale. It's not a bad taste ....


The recipe:



Kale Chips
She wrote: "These are unbelievably tasty - quite a surprise!
"
Yields: 6 Servings

Ingredients
1 large bunch of leafy red kale 

1 tablespoon Olive oil 

sprinkle sea salt

1/4 teaspoon Cayenne
Instructions
Preheat oven to 375. Wash and completely dry kale.
Pull the woody stems from the leaves and break up into bite-sized pieces into a bowl.
Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle some fine sea salt and the cayenne.
Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment, just one layer.
Bake at 375 for about 8 minutes. Take them out when they’re nice and crunchy and slide easily from the cookie sheet. 
She wrote: "I tried one batch with 1/4 tsp of chinese five spice, it was good, but we both preferred the cayenne. Try with garlic powder next time."

Maybe garlic powder would have been better than Garlic Salt.

7 comments:

  1. Awwww heck I'd give them a try! Looks good! :)~

    Erik

    ReplyDelete
  2. If someone else made them, I guess I'd try them. Don't think I'd make them myself though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a recipe with kale & quinoa (my favorite new grain!). It was 'ok'. Not so sure kale chips would drag me to the appetizer table :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kale seems to be the "new" thing and I've heard of kale chips -- maybe I'll try it since kale is supposed to be so good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like a winner! Now, if I just had time to make them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got my curiosity up...I will have to try them. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. !!! they didn't taste like kale to us!!! And Carm has sensitive kale radar - kadar if you will. Maybe they weren't cooked quite enough. Were they slightly chewy? They should be light and crispy. I also added a bit of sirracha to the olive oil, maybe that helped with the flavour.

    Oh - I don't know how the red kale got there - I don't even know if there is such a thing, but I think my recipe software stuck it there (sure, blame it on the software...)

    Nice pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, or send an email.