Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Wallpaper Removal Day-5

I guess I'm just scraping by these days.  Scrape, scrape, scrape!

Except that it is a very tedious process, the wallpaper removal is going well.

Today I started the hardest part.  The ceiling:


This house has many little "interesting" details.  In this room the ceiling is a normal eight foot height, except for a 4' X 15' section that is arched from 9' to 11'.  The rest of the ceiling is painted.  This section was wallpapered. 


To me there is nothing worse than removing wallpaper from a ceiling!  I got about half of it scraped off, but not washed today. 


The bit of the wall showing is a rustic barn wood wall that goes with the retro cone fireplace and corner stone wall.


This is the top half of a "before" picture I took last week.  I had to cut off the bottom because it showed all of the "stuff" we had piled up in there and I found the mess embarrassing!  


Anyway, half of me wants to paint the wall, but Craig likes it, and maybe the "character" of it will appeal to a future buyer.  If not, painting it will be easy for them to imagine doing if that is their preference.


So, thats today's update.  I did walk today, and as soon as I post this I'm going out to see if I can pick enough Miner's Lettuce for a dinner salad.




Exercise Goal:
1000
 miles on the treadmill, 

miles Tuesday

Total walked = 324 miles  

Someday I will be hiking 1000 miles in National Parks!







8 comments:

  1. Why do people even put wallpaper on a ceiling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh wallpaper. Stripped many walls of the stuff back in the day. I prefer stenciling now, and would if I was going to keep a house ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now don't you go being embarrassed about a little mess, Merikay, it's just "us"! As hard as you work, you're entitled. I echo what Rick said...can't imagine why anyone would put WALLpaper on a ceiling. Isn't that misappropriation of resources or something??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too was wondering why anyone would want to wallpaper a ceiling, especially an awkward one.

    You do keep getting into scrapes. What are we going to do with you. *giggles*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I.M. a reely likin' that wallpaper you got on each side of yer blog. Is that what you decided too do with that barnwood? If'n that smoke comes back tomorrow does that mean ya burned it? Ya know, some of us'ns got deeper minds than others.

    I hear city folks'll pay more for a place just cause it's got barnwood, so keepin' it, where ever you got it put, is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've removed my fair share of wallpaper but NEVER on a ceiling!! Thats gotta be rough on the neck muscles. Good luck!

    Its so hard to project what future buyers might want. I like the character myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the wood! It would be awesome with my decor.

    I'm feeling for you and the hideousness of ceiling wallpaper... but you're making great progress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rick asked a good question - why put wallpaper on a ceiling? When we tried to remove wallpaper from the master bedroom we found that the builder had put the wallpaper directly on the sheetrock - no paint, no sizing, nada. We had to rent two steamers to get that darn wallpaper off - and a lot of the sheetrock came off too and Roger had to remake the wall. What a mess! No more wallpaper for me, never. I'd leave the wood on the wall - let the new owners decide what they want to do with it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, or send an email.