Some of the things covered are:
We have booked the lessons in Auburn, December 3rd and 4th.
Auburn is the last town before you start going up into the Sierra's. We know we are pushing our luck on the weather. But we have driven thru there many times on our way to Tahoe to go skiing and we have not seen any snow on the ground.
What we might run into is cold, rainy or windy weather. We hope not, but if we do we will just have to learn under not so nice conditions. It will make driving in good conditions even easier.
The timing couldn't be better for us. Actually if it had been the first week of November it would have been better, but as it is it is just weeks before we take our big trip down to San Diego and to Pasadena for the Rose Parade.
We expect some real driving challenges then. One of the things I don't look forward to is the long pull up over the Grapevine, a rise over a mountain summit, and then coming back down. I think I remember it as having a 6% grade for several miles! The lessons should help prepare one of us for that! One of us will be driving the Alfa, and one of us will be driving the Prius.
We will also be challenged with driving on city streets to the parade in Pasadena, and parking the Alfa in a parking lot with other rigs. Since no slides will be allowed, I have a feeling the spots will be a bit tight.
So what is the conflict?
The drive from here to Auburn is 160 miles. Four hours, five if you count the time to get out of our road. Maybe more if we run into rush hour or weekend traffic.
We had planned on having Craig check in at work for a few hours on that Friday, and then come home so we can take off a little after noon. That gives me time to get all the necessary stuff carted up to The Big White Box.
Thats what we've done the first two trips and it has worked quite well.
But today one of the bosses talked to Craig about being sure he comes to the company Christmas party. Since he is retiring just a few weeks later, Craig figures they might be planning a little going away toast or something.
The party is on the afternoon of the Friday Dec 2nd.
Just when we want to be driving.
We've been talking about it this evening, trying to decide what to do. Change our dates? A week later and we would really be risking winter weather.
Skip the party? I think Craig really wants to go. You only retire once.
The party is going to be held at a winery in the hills above Los Gatos. We have looked at Google Earth to see road to the place and the parking. It looks like we could drive The Big White Thing to the party. Only about a mile and a half of residential and mountain road. Nothing can be worse that our road.
I am going to go drive it tomorrow. If it looks like a "go" we will take the Alfa to the party, I will not imbibe, and can drive up to Auburn. We can stay for the lunch, and then take off.
If it doesn't look like it will work, we will come up with another plan.
Actually, as we talked about it tonight, it seems like fun. We could show off the Alfa to all his soon to be former co-workers. He's been telling them he wants to fix up the house and "drive off into the sunrise." Since the sunset is just down the hill.