Tuesday, March 25, 2014

We Now Have a Long One ...

[From Craig]  Now that we're full-timers, we've acquired a treasure that will make us the ENVY of all the other RVers in any park that we pull into! See, we are currently in a pull-thru that must be at least 70 feet long, and they put the sewer way at the back end, which is also the high end.
  
In order to be able to get close to levelling the coach, we had to pull farther forward onto the pad than our old sewer hose would reach. Rather than backing up the coach in order to dump, Merikay commissioned me to build a new hose long enough for this site. So we now have one of the few 40 foot long sewer hoses on the planet!  

I was relieved to see that the connection point in the utility bay is actually higher than the sewer up by the road, so that the tank drainage runs completely out of the clear 45 degree connector. The remaining thrill will be to see how much gray water will escape as I take the connector out through the bottom of the bay. RVing is way more fun that I ever expected...



[From Merikay] Craig needs his own blog!

13 comments:

  1. Craig, you need to take your victories where you can get them! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 40 feet! I'm impressed. Last night at the campground in Las Cruces, the sewer connection was in the middle of the site, and if we wanted to hook up to it, we'd have been sticking out into the road. So we just didn't hook up. Tonight's campground (a whopping 20 miles down the road) is laid out better. It was nice to hear from you today - I'd not been checking blogs much - and hadn't even posted on mine since December. But I'll be (hopefully) posting more since we're on a big trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See Craig, we all told you guys how much fun RVing was going to be. Promise to tell us all about your first black tank disaster when it happens. We RV'ers all need a good chuckle at each other's expense sometimes you know:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, that is one long hose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. even talk of sewer hoses can be blogworthy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can only imagine 40 feet of black tank disaster!! Good luck with that Craig - and yes, you should write a blog. Always enjoy when you do a guest post...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My biggest problem with those long sewer hoses is where the heck do you store them? It's a pain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hold my breath everytime I check your blog. Just waiting for the good news on the house being "outta here".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Now you're going to need to buy a 40' Flexible Sewer Hose support. Camping World sells a 25' and a 15' .....just sayin. I agree, Craig your full time experiences would be a fun thing to read about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen some pretty long sewer hoses here, but 40 feet might be the record.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Al, we had our first black tank disaster long ago, probably at Crater Lake in July 2012. Our site had two things that looked like sewers, one in the center of a concrete bowl and the other by itself which was newer-looking. Believing in progress, I chose the newer- and spiffier-looking one. It had almost no capacity amd started spewing material shortly after I opened the valve. Being younger then than now, I responded fairly quickly by closing the valve and moving the outlet to the other sewer-looking hole. More stuff on the ground than I like to remember, but way less than what we had in the tank.

    When I went to complain at the offfice, the lady said the other sewer fitting "was only for use by their Engineering people". My suggestion of some kind of marking to tell people which one to use for dumping tanks, did not get any response from her.

    So you see, a sufficiently klutzy RVer can have a black tank disaster, even before going full time.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, or send an email.