Sunday, July 31, 2011

Easy to make dounuts


This doughnut recipe was in our morning email from Allrecipe.  Since we had a tube of buttermilk biscuit dough on hand, we decided to try them.
Grandma's Doughnuts
recipe image
Rated:rating
Submitted By: Tiffany H.
Photo By: MENZIETO
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Ready In: 20 Minutes
Servings: 10 doughnuts, 10 holes

"When you're hungry for doughnuts, but don't have the time to mix a dough, try this quick and tasty treat."
INGREDIENTS:
 oil for deep frying 
1 (10 ounce) can refrigerated buttermilk
biscuit dough
1 cup confectioners' sugar



DIRECTIONS:
1.Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). I used a medium pot and my candy thermometer.  I made three at a time.
2.Separate out the biscuits and cut a hole in the middle of each one, like you would a doughnut. I used a length of 3/4" PVC pipe from the art room that I dipped into flour to press out the holes.  It is now part of my kitchen gear.
You can get creative on this part and make different shapes. Just be sure not to make them too thick in any places, or they will not cook all the way through.
3.Carefully slide doughnuts into hot oil.  I made the holes first and they came out very round. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain briefly on wire racks placed over baking sheets.
4.Place the confectioners' sugar in a bowl and roll the hot doughnuts in the sugar. You could also use sugar and cinnamon or melted chocolate, or just plain.



They were really easy to make, and although not quite "Crispy Creams" they were quite good.

I have decided they would be great to make in the RV for my grandsons when we take them to the Rose Bowl parade in December.  Boys love doughnuts, and so do Grandmas!

Good for us?  NO!  But sometimes a sugar doughnut or three is just what you want for breakfast, and these are so easy I had to share the recipe with you.


RV research:  I had read somewhere that the shorter diesels had some problems with "popping" or "lurching."   I read quite a few comments on the RV forums and the advice was to just be sure you did a good test drive on the highway with any rig before you decide to buy.  Every comment from shorty owners was positive.  This does not seem to be a really big problem.


The other issue I looked into was "salt air damage." Since the latest MH I've been looking into is in Monterey California, I wanted to know what kind of damage to look for.  It seems body rust might be a problem.  Also we should be sure to have the breaks and hydraulics carefully inspected for salt damage. 


Good reasons to have a professional inspection done.


But first I will have to see the rig in person. Hope to make that happen this week.

12 comments:

  1. We made these when we were kids, we poked a hole in the middle and stretched it out a bit. We fried them in a inch or so of oil in a pan, turning them a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never met a dounut I didn't like. In fact I like them so much that I can't eat them. If I have one dounut I then have to have another one & so it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, That sounds really easy, I wonder if you can use other than buttermilk. I'll have to try. I have a little "fry baby".

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we lived in Tampa we were about 20 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. We never had any salt issues with either the motor home or cars. Once we stored our boat right on a canal on the water and we did notice a lot of rust (in a short time) on the trailer. We had a much bigger problem when we lived in Nebraska...from the salt on the roads. All the cars up there had rust. I don't know how far from the coast the MH you're looking for is, but I might not be a problem.

    Can you give us a hint? What kind is it? Another Itasca?

    We used to make donuts that way also and I'm like Al of the Bayfield Bunch. I can't eat them because I love them too much.

    Good luck on your rv search!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to make those doughnuts all the time when our kids were growing up. We called them campfire doughnuts. In fact, they were often the Sunday morning breakfast at rallies we attended. Frosted, dipped in cinnamon sugar, regular sugar or powder sugar. I'm getting hungry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the donut recipe - good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brings back memories. I used to make those donuts for my kids, usually with cinnamon sugar coating. You're right, not good for us, but as a treat once in a while they're a lot of fun.

    Good luck with the MH you're looking at. You have done so much research - I'm sure you will make a good decision when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gotta stop reading blogs -- there are so many good things to try, good places to go, happy things to do. Hey folks, we only have a certain number of years left to live -- how can we possibly do it all? Well, maybe we can't, but we can cram in as many places, things and donuts as we can! Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last time I made doughnuts that's what they ended up like...dough nuts. The Blue jays wouldn't even eat them let alone the kids! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the donut recipe! They sound yummy...we'll have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, oh....I've gotta head for the store! I've been hungry for donuts for about a month! Thanks kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmmm...I could try one of those donuts, if I had the dough. Another good reason to leave that buttermilk biscuit dough at the grocery store! I'm sure the grands will love them though!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, or send an email.