Thursday, July 14, 2011

Taking a Closer look

Yesterday Levonne and I met in Aptos for a walk in the Forest of Nisene Marks State Park.  There are several easy trails thru redwoods and mixed tree forest.  We actually got a bit "lost" because we were talking so much and the trails spit and intersected without much marking.  Our being "lost" was not a bad thing.  It simply meant we were not on the trail we thought we were and had to do a few turn arounds to get back to where we had parked the car.  I guess that can happen when two gabbers get together!

A walk in the park is always a treat.

I took my little point and shoot camera and tried to capture a few interesting images.

When I looked at what I had taken, I was as usual unhappy with the mundane results. When I'm "looking", I do "see" lovely colors and contrasts, but my pictures tend to be cluttered and include "too much information."

After a crop I came up with this fern image.  The composition and angle could be better, but I liked the contrast between the very new fern leaves with the glory and perfection of  old leaf. 







Another picture I took was of a spot of sun on the ground cover.


A throw away image, until I looked a little closer.

Do you see the danger lurking?





POISON OAK  in among the Sorrel and Ivy.  




This was also pulled from al larger picture.  I had notice just a few leaves with a bit of morning dew still on them in the corner of a larger shot.

Just having some fun!

The forest is a beautiful place on all levels.

    

10 comments:

  1. It was fun Merikay. Thanks for the reminders with your pictures. I think I'll post a few too. You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very,very nice pictures! Glad you had such a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Leaves of three, let it be"...at least that's the way I remember learning about poison oak. Glad you didn't wander too far off the path. Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now when I enlarge your picture in question, I see an alligator lurking under the leaves near the top left side. Can you see his eye? Not that I know what an alligator would be doing in a redwood forest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps my dangers are imagined while yours are real? How's that for a bit of philosophy? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so allergic to poison oak and ivy! Just seeing it on the computer is making me itch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I notice the same thing when I take pictures. The colors aren't as bright, and I always get disappointed! Glad you got together with Levonne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos look great. I think we're all too critical of our own photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like I always say, "look for the photo within a photo" before throwing it away. Glad to see you creatively using the 'cropping' tool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. look good to me!!!

    nothing like out and about for inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, or send an email.