Saturday, June 23, 2012

10,000 steps

As I was packing things for our trip, I came across the pedometer I bought a few years ago.


When I got it I tried to calibrate the "miles" with miles as recorded on my treadmill, and it was a dismal mismatch.


It really doesn't mater.  All things are relative.  So yesterday I clipped it to my waistband to see if I could log the 10,000 steps recommended for "heart health."


No problem.  Yesterday I started the day by walking on the treadmill for 50 minutes. The rest of the day was spent going up and down the hill loading things into the Alfa for our trip.  By the end of the day I was over 10,000 steps.


Today is a different story.  It is now 4:30 in the afternoon.  I have been on my feet all day, working around the house and going up and down the stairs and the hill carting an infinite amount of stuff to the Alfa. My feet are tired!  But I have only logged 5370 steps. (2.28  miles.)  


Even though I have a few more things to do tonight, there is no way I can log another 4630 steps!  I guess that shows me how important that hour on the treadmill is every morning!


When we are on the trip, we will walk a lot.  I'm going to wear the pedometer just to see what it measures. 


Have any of you ever used one? 







9 comments:

  1. I have one I use to slip in my pocket. It is a real eye opener. My friend just walks in place in front of the tv at the end of the day if she doesn't have enough steps. When I recover from this broken ankle,mi am going to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill wears one every day... he has walked 12,017 steps today. I wore a Fitbit until my laptop computer crashed and will reload that program when my new laptop arrives next week. I really believe that being aware of how much exercise I get (or don't get) makes me a lot more conscious of my health status. Seeing it in "black and white" is kind of like a nag screen telling me to rev it up a little ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a pedometer, but I do use Runkeeper app on my Droid. It shows how many miles I have walked.

    Good for you using it, and keeping up on the treadmill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use one every once in a while just to see how I'm doing or if I walk a new route. I find that if I don't walk my hour every day there is no way I can get in 10,000 steps. That hour walk makes all the difference for me! Have fun on your upcoming adventure. Can't wait to see what you guys find to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find this very interesting, and will look forward to your reports and how many steps you are taking. Of course, I used to enjoy your treadmill tallies from a while back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a small one that was free from a health fair, I also wanted to log at least 10,000 steps a day. I tried to keep it in my pocket, but it didn't always register my walking. I clipped it on my shorts and lost it on the trail. I need to get one with a better clip. I tried the apps on my iPhone, but it runs down the battery too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back when I was a Head Caretaker, (not "Head Case", don't misread that, although that may still be the case.) my wife thought she and one of our daughters should start using them. Fine. So one day I thought maybe I'd try one out.
    She wouldn't believe me that by 9:00 in the morning I had already walked 4000 paces, but I had started at 6:30 and had been on the go the whole time. It was 100 paces from my office to the boiler room for starters.
    Not sure where they ended up. Sitting in a drawer back home I imagine.
    I try to get out every morning and hoof it for a good hour. Otherwise I'd just melt into the scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never used one. I have enough trouble keeping track of my wallet and car keys, let alone one more thing to put in my pocket...

    I probably walk at least 10,000 steps a day, to the doughnut shop, the fast food joint and the ice cream stand. ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  9. great idea - I'll have to dig out mine, I know I have one somewhere. What I found with mine is that it would count every shift of my seat while I was sitting... I'd have to remember to turn it on and off again at the right points, which of course I screwed up constantly!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, or send an email.