Thursday, March 15, 2012

Thinking about our next trip

Every day Craig has been getting something done on the house.  But there are still some very big jobs ahead, and we have not even talked about getting rid of stuff, so I don't feel hopeful about putting it on the market anytime this year. 
I on the other hand have been doing nothing.  I would like to be working on refinishing the kitchen cabinets, but see no sense in doing it until we are closer to getting out.  I'm depressed about how the painting I did is no longer "new," and will need to be retouched in places.


March - April is always a disturbing time.  The dining room table is covered with papers and receipts as I try to get things organized for taxes.  We took the first pass at them last week, and things don't look too bad.  It looks like we won't have to pay too much. 


 Next year will be so much easier with no income to speak of! 


I've ben thinking about our next three or four day Alfa trip after the taxes are done. Possibly up to the "Gold Country" in the Sierra foothills.  It would be the first time we took both the RV and the Prius.  I want to see how it will be to drive separately because that is what we will be doing for our Oregon trip in June-July.


On the food front, everything is going very well.  I have more interesting foods I'd like to share, but not today.


Although I am trying to limit my intake of meat and dairy, I don't think I will ever be  100% vegan.


 Limit has got to be the operative word. 


 At first I fussed about portion sizes of 2 or 3 ounces of chicken or fish as being way to small. 


 Now it is feeling like quite enough. 


I have been making daily use of my food scale and measuring cups.


I am not eating any "diet" meals, shakes or special foods. 


Sometimes the best I can do is make small adjustments or omit part of a  past menu.  
Yesterday's breakfast was an example. We have always enjoyed our "American" breakfast at least once a week.  Fried or scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon or ham, hash brown potatoes, and white toast with lots of butter or "I Can't Believe it's Not Butter." 


Yesterday I made scrambled eggs using two less egg yolks, used only the whites, onions and peppers, and 4 ounces dice ham. (for two of us) The onions and peppers gave it a little extra fiber.  We skipped the hash browns, and I had only one thin slice of my high fiber bread for toast. I've switched to Benecol for the toast, but actually like a bit of All Fruit better.


 Dinner was very light, and I did not make my fiber goal for the day. Small changes.  Not every day is perfect.


Most days I just have a high fiber cereal, blueberries and Almond Smooth instead of milk for breakfast. It is a good, simple filling start and I'm usually more satisfied for longer than I was with the eggs and ham.











10 comments:

  1. We have enjoyed reading the things you have done in regards to food changes for the long haul, and not just for a diet. We are slowly trying to make some of those changes also. You have helped inspire us with your progress. We can feel your pain with the house preparations. But know we will all get their.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are at our daughter's house here in Texas... she is 47 years old and a month ago found out that she is seriously diabetic. WAY out of the baseline... scary.... and I'm reading how you've changed your eating habits... and... you're right... a 4oz piece of meat looks like a mini snack. But I tell her about my blogging friends who are changing their habits.... and that she can do it too. AND... I know she wants to live long enough to go RVing like us, so she'll do it. Don't ever think that your inspiration hasn't affected others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can sure tell you don't have any idea about the impact you have out here in blog land with the changes you are making in your life. That inspires others to take a good hard look at how they are eating and make one small change just like you are. Taxes are always a depressing thing to have to do each year. Maybe in your cleaning out preparation, you could just take one drawer at a time and downsize. You might be amazed at how much gets done in the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean - now that we have replaced all the floors, and painted, fixed everything up etc., I get nervous about wear and tear that naturally happens over time. I wince when I drop something sharp or heavy and hope that it didn't do any damage. I try to tell myself that these things happen and the house is never going to be perfect. And to remind myself that it sure looks a lot better than it did 4 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. But wouldn't it be nice to enjoy those refinished cabinets for a while before you move out? How much difference could it make in the sale price of your house in the long run? Maybe I'm way off base, but I think you ought to enjoy the lifestyle you are in while you are in it. JMHO

    ReplyDelete
  6. So proud of you and your new perspective on health. Would you mind telling me how you are increasing your fiber intake? I use chia and flax seeds but still am not getting the results I think I need. I hope you and Craig are not doing too much as far as the house is concerned. When we were in your situation, we were told by the realtor that most people would come in and do what they wanted no matter what we did. We did the big things, like new roof, new fence, new heater/ac and left the cosmetics to the new owners.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you are making good changes and a little at a time is the way to go.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am making dietary changes. After I get home from the grocery store I clean and cut up all my veggies and put them in snack bags. This morning I had my Scrambled breakfast.....an ounce of the following (all ready chopped) onions, red and yellow peppers, olives, mushrooms 2 slices turkey bacon (also cut up into tiny pieces) I sprayed my pan and slowly cooked all until veggies were semi soft and added 1/2 cup of egg beaters. I eat six times a day, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper, bedtime snack (yes, I'm diabetic) At first I too thought 3oZ of chicken or turkey or fish??? I'll starve!!! But now Its plenty. good for you and your great choices. I wish you well on your food journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to get back on track as well, and you (and others!) inspire me. I've gained quite a bit, mostly due to stress eating, and going on the road will help with that part. It's amazing, however, how many chemicals are in processed foods we eat. Want to get away from that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you are doing really good. And changing these up occasionally will probably help to keep you on track. I eat a lot of fruits and veges, but will probably not ever be a total vegetarian. Keep up the good work. I agree with Judy in trying to enjoy the house while you are still living there.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, or send an email.