Saturday, August 21, 2010

Crickets, and an answer

I heard the crickets for the fist time last night.  It was early in the evening and still pretty warm.  Later (around 11:00) I again stepped out onto the deck and they were quiet.  A cool ocean fog was rolling in.  Maybe it has just been too cool in the evenings for them to sing.

Have you heard them where  you are yet?

A couple of my friends have asked me if I'm still walking and keeping track of the miles.

The answer is no for now.  It's a long story, but in a boring nutshell it has to do with the fact that both my knee and ankle have been really painful for the last two months.  I know that going up and down the ladder repeatedly during the day is a big factor.  I can't stop working, so for now I have stopped walking.

I went to the doctor for the knee awhile back and he said it was Arthritis.  He put me on an anti-inflammatory that really did a number on my stomach.  At one point last month my ankle was so swollen in the evening that it looked like I had an egg tucked under the skin.  Ice packs have helped a great deal.

I also think I might have a bit of Gout.  The doc says no, but I know that my joints are much worse when I drink wine, eat red meat, and a variety of other foods.  So for the month of August I have been abstaining.  The ankle is better.  I'm hoping to get back on the treadmill soon.

 Daily countdown:
438 days, or 1 year, 2 months, 12 days. 

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your ankle and knee. Maybe it is just all the painting you've been doing. Haven't heard many crickets here, but being in the city has its disadvantages there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your knee and ankle. maybe a diet change will kick-start a healing for your ankle.
    Take care and be careful to let your knee and ankle heal up some.
    Mike & Gerri

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gentleman came calling one day. His name was Arthur Itis. He offered to be my friend for life. I told him no, not right now. He said he would be back periodically when I over did things like painting from a ladder. He's here whether welcomed or not.

    Syl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, good old Arthur can be a real pain in the asparagus! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, or send an email.